The Plot of Candyman (2021)
For as long as residents can remember, the housing projects of Chicago’s Cabrini Green neighborhood were terrorized by a word-of-mouth ghost story about a supernatural killer with a hook for a hand, easily summoned by those daring to repeat his name five times into a mirror. In present day, a decade after the last of the Cabrini towers were torn down, visual artist Anthony McCoy and his girlfriend, gallery director Brianna Cartwright, move into a luxury loft condo in Cabrini, now gentrified beyond recognition and inhabited by upwardly mobile millennials.
With Anthony’s painting career on the brink of stalling, a chance encounter with a Cabrini Green old-timer exposes Anthony to the tragically horrific nature of the true story behind Candyman. Anxious to maintain his status in the Chicago art world, Anthony begins to explore these macabre details in his studio as fresh grist for paintings, unknowingly opening a door to a complex past that unravels his own sanity and unleashes a terrifyingly viral wave of violence that puts him on a collision course with destiny.
Candyman (2021) is a “spiritual sequel” to the 1992 horror film Candyman that returns to the now-gentrified Chicago neighborhood where the legend began.
Trailer for Candyman (2021)
- No One Will Save You ending explained - September 25, 2023
- Horror Coming to Netflix in October 2023 - September 25, 2023
- Marcus Friedlander Discusses the Cinematography of “That’s A Wrap” - August 30, 2023
- In Theaters: August 27, 2021 (USA)
- On VOD: September 17, 2021 (USA)
- Genre: Horror, Thriller
- Director: Nia DaCosta
- Writer: Jordan Peele, Win Rosenfeld
- Cast: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Teyonah Parris, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Colman Domingo, and Tony Todd